Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Today I have a toddler

I am finding it difficult to accept that my baby is not really a baby anymore. Today he has decided that today was a good day to show momma that he's a toddler now! Forget the sweet, little snuggling baby boy. He's a one man disaster waiting to happen.

Here's how the day started. I heard him wake up and turn on his mobile music. Sweet, I had 30 min left to sleep. Sure enough I here him stirring a little while later. As I'm walking to his door I hear his bottle hit to floor. So I wait a second, then I hear another bottle hit the floor. Not sure how he had two in the crib but anyway. By this time I realize he's doing this on purpose. I hear him say "awe snoopy". I just envision him snuggling with snoopy but I open the door to him mid-throw of the snoopy. Hands still above his head, we both watch snoopy hit the floor with a pitiful thud, he looks up to me.... Uh-oh.

 We've been trying to take over the world since. River boy has been learning valuable life lessons today. like paper really doesn't taste good and that sticky stuff on envelopes isn't edible. Pull Mommas hair one two many times and she's going tug on yours too. Dance sessions can be exhausting. Band aids are necessary some times. If you throw eggs on the floor, you aren't getting them back. Super slo-mo fake falls can be hilarious. (Try it sometime. Fall all the way to the ground. Giggle inducing I say!)

Watermelon....oh he finally discovered the sweet summer lovin of a watermelon. We sat on the floor together with a bowl of chopped watermelon between us. Watching him bite into the first piece. You just see the sweetness wash over his taste buds. He smiles and enjoys his first taste. My sweet baby was sitting quietly with me. And two minutes later t toddler is up and running around the kitchen trying to smear watermelon on the floor so he can get to clean it up. He's been doing a lot of clean ups today. Both for things that were done on purpose and for true accidents. I finally just gave him his own washcloth to clean anything he desired.

He has climbed everything. I found him scaling a bookshelf at one point. He has figured out how to get onto the couch and into his daddy's chair. Those little tippy toes are getting a workout today. He is just trying to reach anything that he isn't supposed to have. He's also working on getting his diaper undone. I'm sure he'll have that figured out by dinner tonight.


The day wasn't done. There was so much toddler-ness to get into after his nap. At one point he emptied his toy box, climbed in and then proceeding to scream at me. I'm guessing that one of his animals looked at him wrong and I was to save the day. Nope, he just wanted to scream at me. The afternoon meltdown lasted for about an hour. Full on temper tantrum with fits of hysteria and throwing ourselves on the floor. Yes I had one too.

Dinner went as well as could be expected for the day we were having. Brilliant idea on my part was to give him rice. Yep, tiny little particles of food that are easily flung off the high chair. We've been working on using a plate and utensils. Those were quickly turned into a flying saucer of food and a catapult for said rice.

After a post dinner meltdown (which came from me trying to sweep up his mess, how dare I, right!?) I figured an early bath would be best. We found our happy somewhere in between bubbles and his naked free run post bath. All was right in the world again.

Time for bed and my toddler turns back into my baby. Snuggles and kisses. My sweet sweet baby boy in my arms falling asleep. He may not be a baby anymore but he will always be my baby.

(originally written on 7/6/14)






No comments:

Post a Comment